- American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (ACVB) Behavior, 1996
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Michigan State University, 1975
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Michigan State University, 1972
Current Professional Activities
Past Professional Activities
- Owner, Veterinary Behavior Consultations St. Louis, Missouri
- Frequent lecturer and industry consultant on behavior
- Creates and implements behavioral learning modules and programs for veterinarians and staff
- Author of the BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Behavioural Medicine 1st and 2nd editions and the
- Co-author of the Lifelearn Behavior programs materials
- Section Editor for Behavior in The 5 Minute Veterinary Consultant 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th editions
- Co-author Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary consult Clinical Companion Canine and Feline Behavior
- Co-editor of Decoding your Dog-a book by the American College of Veterinary Behaviorist on dog behavior for the public
- NAVC Small Animal Speaker of the year in 2012 and 2014
- Adjunct faculty at the University of Missouri Veterinary School
- Past-President of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
- Past President of the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
- Private medicine practice.
- Married to Gene Horwitz - not a veterinarian, but a computer geek.
- Three grown children - not a veterinarian among them:
- Jeff - Administrator of curriculum and student services at Chesterfield Day School in St. Louis
- Laura - American Friends Service Committee planning and education specialist
- Ben - New Orleans Police Department implementation of US Consent decree
- I like traveling and relaxing with family and friends.
What I like Most About VIN
- Everything works some of the time, nothing works all the time. (Seems apropos for behavioral therapy!)
- The ability to easily reach so many in the veterinary community.