Course Open: July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022
Total CE Credit: 4
RACE Category: 4 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
Most education geared toward a veterinary hospital is centered on medicine. Although that is very important, we must not forget a veterinary hospital is also a BUSINESS. The financial success of a veterinary hospital has more to do with being a success business man or woman than being a successful veterinarian. This course is designed to help either a veterinarian or practice manager learn how to manage the BUSINESS of the veterinary practice. By doing so, the practice should become more profitable and less stressful for the owner. This is the first of several planned non-interactive courses in a Practice CEnts management series geared towards improving profits for a veterinary practice and thereby creating wealth for the owner. In this course, the participant is provided a working knowledge of the accounting that will be used in the future Practice CEnts courses. In the intermediate and advanced courses participants will learn more tools and structures so they can make better management and financial decisions and thus more profitable decisions for the practice. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 237 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by June 30, 2022 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand the basic material of this and future courses.
- understand entrepreneurial traits.
- understand the importance of financial freedom.
- realize the language of wealth is Financial Statements.
- understand the Chart of Accounts.
- understand the difference between single and double entry accounting.
- discuss the Five Major Accounting types.
- understand the terms "Debit" and "Credit".
- have a greater understanding of the Chart of Accounts.
- discuss the basics of “T” accounts.
- work with “T” accounts.
- begin working with Double Entry accounting.
- begin working with a General Ledger.
- produce a Profit and Loss.
- produce a Balance Sheet.
- introduce and produce a Cash Flow statement
- close out their books for a period.
- get their books ready for a new recording period.
Accreditation: This non-interactive course is approved for 4 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-800071)
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. Course Agenda: Module 1: Library
Total Time: 21 minutes
Handouts: 21 minutes
Module 2: Introduction
Total Time: 9 minutes
Video: 9 minutes
Module 3: Lesson 1 Entrepreneurship
Total Time: 28 minutes
Video: 28 minutes
Module 4: Lesson 2 The Foundation of Accounting
Total Time: 34 minutes
Video: 34 minutes
Module 5: Lesson 3 The Foundation of Accounting 2
Total Time: 19 minutes
Video: 19 minutes
Module 6: Lesson 4 Recording Accounting Entries
Total Time: 35 minutes
Video: 35 minutes
Module 7: Lesson 5 Putting Together Financial Statements
Total Time: 38 minutes
Video: 38 minutes
Module 8: Lesson 6 Closing the Books
Total Time: 38 minutes
Video: 38 minutes
Module 9: End of Course Test
Total Time: 15 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 10: Course Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive self-study CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $92
Prices are listed in US dollars. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357