- Bachelor of Science (BS), University of Illinois, Architectural Studies, 1990
- Registered Architect - originally licensed 1996.
- Member of the American Institute of Architects. Served as AIA Colorado North Chapter Treasurer Elect/Treasurer, 1998/1999.
- Contributing author of "Blackwell’s Five-minute Veterinary Practice Management Consult"
- Licensed Architect currently registered to practice in California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Hawaii, Connecticut, Wisconsin and Virginia. Design consultation experience throughout the U.S. and Canada.
- Broadly experienced architect with background of designing commercial projects ranging from education and mixed use buildings in addition to concentration on animal care facility design.
- Veterinary Hospital Design – Specialized Design Experience since 2002 with emphasis on specialty referral practice design but including projects ranging from 1,000 s.f. small animal general practices to over 40,000 s.f. specialty referral hospitals. Services provided have included design consultation through complete architectural design.
- Animal Shelter Design – Specialized Design Experience since 2002 working with municipal and non-profit groups, often teaming with local architects. Services provided include design consultation for needs assessments, program development, preliminary design, and technical direction through complete architectural design.
- Married to wife Sara, who works for another architectural firm in Boulder. Bryan and Sara both have the "curse" of being architects, endlessly critiquing the built environment around them.
- Children Julia (2009) and Alexander (2012). Something new every day!
- Ducati’s Red Lokimotive, aka "Loki", or "The Lokimonster"... A Vizsla who loves to run the open spaces around Boulder! A true speed demon, he loves to show off his speed at our local dog parks, where all the other canine guardians are thrilled to have him visit — the regulars consider him their dog’s personal trainer.
- Tropical fish... For the calming counterbalance to our dog!
- Originally from northern Illinois.
- Boulder, CO has been home since 1990.
- Cycling: Competitive mountain bike racing in Colorado since 1992, road biking, cyclocross, and child-trailer pulling.
- Photography: BKingFOTO.com – areas of special interest includes Landscape, Travel, and Architectural Photography
What I like Most About VIN
- "No matter where you go, there you are." - Confuscius
- "If it's not one thing it's another, if it's not that it's something else." - Roseanne Roseannadanna
- VIN provides a great opportunity to better understand the issues that veterinarians are facing not only when designing hospitals, but also when managing and operating their practices. Ultimately this helps me be a better designer.
- The ability to give back to the veterinary community by answering design-related questions with the hope of more broadly improving the quality of veterinary care facilities beyond just those that are direct clients.