- American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS), 1988
- Master of Science (MS), Colorado State University, 1987
- Residency in Surgery, Colorado State University, 1987
- Internship, Texas A&M University, 1984
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Michigan State University, 1983
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Western Michigan University , 1973
Current Professional Activities
Past Professional Activities
- Chief of Surgery at Lauderdale Veterinary Specialists
- Chief of Surgery, Animal Medical Center, NY, NY
- Professor of Small Animal Surgery, University of Illinois
- Associate professor of surgery, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff surgeon, Bay area veterinary specialists, private practice, San Francisco bay area
- Owner and Founder of Veterinary Medical and Surgical Group in Ventura, California
- Staff Veterinarian at the San Francisco Zoo
- Associate Professor — Zoological Medicine — University of Florida
- Piquitula — Grey and white tabby with no eyes. Herpes...
- Tuti Fruti — Calico adopted from shelter in Illinois
- Lili — Grey tabby with white feet adopted from AMC
- Cora — Border collie with PDA that was supposed to die of pulmonary hypertension intraop. But, she didn't!
- Heiller — German wire-haired pointer
- Caco — Male cockatiel
- Kronos — A baby African grey parrot
- Ice — Powder blue parrotlet who rides to work with me every day
- Two canaries without names.
- Fresh water and reef aquaria
- Orchids, gardening, travelling
What I Like Best About VIN
- "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
- I like the concept of veterinarians helping veterinarians.
- I like that it keeps me thinking and learning. I have to look stuff up to answer questions and that helps me keep up.
- I also enjoy meeting so many veterinarians from all over the world. People come up to me at conferences and tell me their screen names. It is like we have known each other for a long time but it has been on VIN, not in person.
- I like the world wide access. Great people. Great learning.