Course Open: January 1-December 31, 2022
Total CE Credit: 1
RACE Category: 1 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
This course covers opioid prescribing by veterinarians in precise detail and provides participants with a broad range of expert level knowledge on subjects including DEA laws and regulations, identifying and stopping misuse, and more. It is designed to fulfill the continuing education requirements for all states that have mandated 1 CE hour on Controlled Drugs for Veterinarians, which include: Colorado, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Maine, and Florida. In addition, we offer both a 2 credit hour and 3 credit hour self-study course on Controlled Drugs.
See: Opioid 411 (2 CE Hours) (DRIP002) Self-Study
Opioid 411 (3 CE Hours) (DRIP003) Self-Study If you are unsure if your state requires continuing education on this topic, click here for more information. To earn a certificate of completion, the participant must complete all 6 modules and attain a score of 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of all modules (videos, reading handouts, quizzes, end of course test, and course evaluation) will take a minimum of 64 minutes to complete. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2022 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand the gravity of the Opioid Crisis in America.
- understand the sequlea of events for addiction.
- understand the source of opioids fueling the crisis.
- identify the applicable DEA rules and regulations regarding controlled drugs in veterinary practices.
- understand common mechanisms used for diversion.
- create systems to prevent diversion and misuse.
- understand current medical theory for uses of opioids in practice.
- develop alternatives and replacements to opioid use.
- identify best practices for the ordering, storage, use, dispensing and prescribing of opioids in veterinary practice.
This course is only available to VIN members.
RACE Accreditation: This non-interactive course is approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians. (RACE 20-800670) Course Agenda:
Module 1: Opioid Crisis in America
Total Time: 6:40 minutes
Video: 6:40 minutes
Module 2: Sequelae of Addition
Total Time: 7:30 minutes
Video: 7:30 minutes
Module 3: DEA Laws and Regulations
Total Time: 11:07 minutes
Video: 11:07 minutes
Module 4: Identifying and Stopping Misuse
Total Time: 9:05 minutes
Video: 9:05 minutes
Module 5: The Medical Aspect of Opioids
Total Time: 7:22 minutes
Video: 7:22 minutes
Module 6: Best Practices
Total Time: 8:19 minutes
Video: 8:19 minutes
Module 7: End of Course Test
Total Time: 10:00 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course.
To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive self-study CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN Member $23
Prices are listed in US dollars. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357