Course Open: January 1-December 31, 2022
Total CE Credit: 2
Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
This course explores the laws and rules governing the practice of veterinary medicine in Florida and gives a basic overview in a modular format. The course begins with licensing, educational requirements, and scope of practice. The veterinarian-client-patient relationship as well as requirements related to medical records will be discussed. Permits, inspections and minimum standards of practice will follow. A brief overview covering advertising applications will be determined. Wellness and impairment of veterinarians will be discussed as well as the opioid crisis. The course ends with an overview of associated violations and penalties. This course focuses heavily on F.S. 455, F.S. 474 and Chapter 61G18. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 130 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2022 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- determine license status, scope of practice and supervision requirements for veterinarians and veterinary support personnel.
- determine continuing education requirements and discuss penalties for noncompliance.
- practice within a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship and discuss requirements of medical records and emergency care.
- determine permit requirements for the veterinary practice as well as inspections and associated fees.
- discuss the minimum standards of veterinary practice within types of practices including permanent & mobile agricultural, mobile & house-call, limited service, emergency rabies clinics, and complementary & alternative.
- determine what is permitted and what is restricted when advertising.
- discuss veterinarian’s consent upon licensing and impairment treatment.
- discuss penalties associated with violations of Florida laws and regulations.
RACE Accreditation: This course does not qualify for AAVSB RACE approval. This course has been approved for veterinarians by the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Board of Veterinary Medicine and fulfills the 2-hour requirement for Laws and Rules in Florida. (FL Provider License #: PVD223) Course Agenda: Module 1: Laws and Rules: Licensing & Scope of Practice, Continuing Education
Total Time: 20 minutes
Video: 20 minutes
Module 2: VCPR, Permits. Minimum Standards & Advertising
Total Time: 59 minutes
Video: 59 minutes
Module 3: Impairment, Violations & Penalties
Total Time: 31 minutes
Video: 31 minutes
Module 4: End of Course Test
Total Time: 20 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 5: Course Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive self-study CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN Member $46
Prices are listed in US dollars. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357