Course Open: January 2, 2021 - December 31, 2021
Total CE Credit: 2
RACE Category: 2 hours Medical
Veterinary staff must be able to interpret client and layman terms and translate to veterinary terms and vice versa. As such, a clear understanding of medical terminology is an important part of daily activities in any veterinary practice. Correct use of terminology in the veterinary workplace enhances client education and practice-wide communication. This course will introduce the concept of breaking down medical terms into their component root words, prefixes and suffixes for ease of understanding. Terminology by body system will be introduced, and the participant will be able to "decode" medical terms, as well as demonstrate the correct medical terms for many signs and symptoms. Medical terms for the body parts, as well as terms for diseases, pathologies, diagnostics and treatments for each body system will be covered. This is a terminology course and will not branch into the physiology of various diseases and conditions.
This course will consist of 8 (eight) non-interactive segments that are in the form of videos to be watched. Segments will also include handouts to be read, and a mandatory end of course test. To earn a certificate of participation, you must attain a score of 80% or higher on the end of course test. The eight segments and reading library handouts should take the participant a minimum of 120 minutes total.Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the participant should be able to:
- Decode and define medical terms and decipher their meaning based on root words, prefixes and suffixes.
- Demonstrate correct use of medical terms and effectively communicate with staff and clients for a patient's clinical signs, symptoms, and treatments.
- Associate medical terms as they relate to the individual body systems.
RACE Accreditation: This course has been RACE approved for veterinary technicians only as a non-interactive course. (RACE program #22-18169)
Segment 1-3: The Basic of Veterinary Medical Terminology and Body Structure
Segment 1 total time + reading: 25 minutes
Segment 2 total time: 15 minutes
Segment 3 total time: 20 minutes
These segments will cover the basics of terminology, and deciphering terms from root words, prefixes, and suffices.
The Muscle, Circulatory, Nervous, Respiratory and Integumentary Systems
Segment 4 total time + reading: 15 minutes
Segment 5 total time: 10 minutes
Segment 6 total time: 15 minutes
These segments will focus on terminology of the muscle, circulatory, respiratory, nervous and integumentary systems.
The Urinary, Reproductive, Endocrine and Digestive Systems
Segment 7 total time + reading: 20 minutes
Segment 8 total time: 25 minutes
These segments will focus on terminology relating to the urinary, reproductive, endocrine and digestive systems.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached.*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357