Course Open: January 2, 2021- December 31, 2021
Total CE Credit: 3
RACE Category: 3 hours Non-Medical
Your team is the hospital's core and fundamentally the glue that holds your veterinary practice together. How are you drawing in the most skilled and loyal team members? Before you begin the hiring process, take a hard, objective look at your current team, determine its strengths and weaknesses, understand the culture and take into consideration your hospital's Mission, Vision and Values. Before you place a focused"Help Wanted"advertisement, consider your benefits, team audit, required skill set, and how you will integrate the new team member. Hiring for both aptitude AND attitude is the key to success. Your policies around the hiring process may need to be revisited and updated to reflect the current demands on the hiring market during the economic times. Together, we will discuss generating a stellar advertisement, hiring your next team member based upon their hard AND soft skill sets, interviewing techniques and how to involve your current team in the process. Remember; allow for training, transitioning and the inevitable morphing, storming and performing to create a cohesive team.
- discuss the cost of turnover and veterinary community statistics
- identify what position needs to be filled
- evaluate technical skills needed to legally fill the needed position
- objectively determine team strengths and weaknesses,
- identify how to fill in any gaps and compliment the current team
- outline the hiring process
- review current policies in hiring and update these to reflect growing trends
- identify the need for background checks
- investigate credentialing and licensing
- cross-reference payroll budget and sustainability
- define benefits packages for specific positions
- generate a stellar job posting
- involve the current team in the hiring process
- determine the team's definition of professional attitude
- process and intake resumes and cover letters
- identify the "do's and don'ts" of interviewing
- identify the difference between hard skills and soft skills
- define aptitude and attitude
- review and revise the mission, vision, values and team culture
- educate the team of the expectations around morphing, storming and performing
- describe phase training and mentoring options
- design and implement new employee orientation
- assist the new team member with transitioning
- establish performance review expectations
- identify the importance of continuing support and encouragement
RACE Accreditation: This course has been RACE approved for veterinarians and veterinary technicians. (22-39127) This course has been approved by the VHMA for CVPM credits (#12-25)Course Agenda:
Segment 1: Hiring for Aptitude and Attitude
The many steps to identify what skills are needed, complement the current team, and proceed thorugh the hiring and onboarding process.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached.*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357