Course Open: January 20-February 6, 2020
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Monday, January 27, 2020; 8:30-10:30pm ET (USA)
Course RTS Times in Your Area: World Clock Converter Level and Prerequisites: This intermediate course is geared toward experienced veterinary assistants and technicians that utilize capnography in patient monitoring.
VSPN CE Course: Open to VIN and VSPN members. “This program has been approved for 2 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval.”(22-38767) Course Information:
Many clinics have capnography capability, but many technicians have not utilized this skill much. If you need a refresher or a good basic start in capnography, this may be the course for you. This course will discuss the basic principles of capnography, including but not limited to the different types of capnograph units commonly used in practice today. Capnograph waveforms will comprise a large portion of the lecture, and participants will be taught how to read and recognize normal vs. abnormal tracings including what causes common abnormalities and how to rectify them. Week 1 (Real Time Session January 27): Capnography
Objectives: Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to:
- Understand the pros and cons of sidestream vs. mainstream capnography.
- Learn to read a normal capnograph waveform.
- Learn to recognize normal vs. abnormal capnograph tracings.
Required Textbook: There is no required reading or textbooks although it is suggested that attendees review the website https://www.capnography.com prior to the real time session. This is a human based site, but has a lot of great information that transfers to veterinary patients.About the Presenter:
Jody Nugent-Deal, RVT, VTS (Anesthesia, Exotic Companion Animal) has worked for the University of California-Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital since 1999, working in the companion exotics department for 10 years and currently the small animal anesthesia department where she is the supervisor. Ms. Nugent-Deal is a founding member of the Academy of Veterinary Technicians in Clinical Practice and is the executive secretary for the group as well as the appeals committee chair. Jody is an active member with the Academy of Veterinary Technicians in Anesthesia and Analgesia having served on the nominations, credentials and appeals committees. Jody is currently a Member At Large for the AVTAA. Ms. Nugent-Deal has lectured throughout North America since 2000 on anesthesia and various exotic animal topics. Jody has published numerous articles and book chapters for both canine/feline and exotic animal medicine and anesthesia topics. Jody is an instructor for both VSPN and VetMedTeam and she has a special interest in anesthesia, analgesia, pain management and critical care in exotics and dogs and cats. In Jody’s spare time, she loves to read, visit the ocean, run, road and mountain bike. Total CE Credit: 2
Tuition: $42 ($38 early bird special if enrolled by January 6, 2020)
Prices are listed in US dollars. * Students currently enrolled in and taking at least 2 classes or 5 units at an AVMA accredited or CAAHT approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on January 27, 2020 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357