Course Open: January 2, 2021 - December 31, 2021
Total CE Credit: 3.5
RACE Category: 3.5 hours Non-Medical
Parasites have pestered our farm animals and us since before the dawn of the agricultural revolution. The primary purpose of this course is to develop an understanding of farm animal parasite life cycles, public health issues, proper sample processing, evaluation, and identification of internal and external parasites of horses, ruminants, pigs, and poultry. Techniques to improve ova recovery, life cycles, microscopic and gross identification techniques will be covered. (Diagnosis or treatment options will not be covered in this course.)
- Explain the proper collection method for various parasitology samples.
- Recognize the equipment and tests utilized in identifying parasites.
- Develop standard operating procedures for processing parasitology samples.
- Differentiate between pseudo-parasites and true parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common protozoal parasites of ruminants, pigs, horses, and poultry.
- Identify protozoal stages in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to protozoal parasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with protozoal parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common nematode parasites of ruminants, pigs, horses, and poultry.
- Identify nematode stages in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to nematode parasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with nematode parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common cestode and trematode parasites of ruminants, pigs, horses, and poultry.
- Identify cestode and trematode stages in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to cestode and trematode parasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with cestode and trematode parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common arthropod parasites of ruminants, pigs, horses, and poultry.
- Identify insects, mites, and ticks in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to ectoparasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with ectoparasites.
VSPN CE Course: Open to VIN and VSPN members.
This non-interactive course has been RACE approved for veterinary technicians/technologists. (22-32603) Program Agenda:
Course RTS Times in Your Area: World Clock Converter Segment 1 Introduction, Sample Collection, and Testing Methods
Proper sample collection, procedures for sample processing, tests and equipment utilized in identification.
Lifecycle,stages and identification of protoza, terminology, zoonotic risks.
Lifecycle,stages and identification of nematodes, terminology, zoonotic risks.
Cestodes and Trematodes
Lifecycle,stages and identification of cestodes and trematodes, terminology, zoonotic risks.
Lifecycle,stages and identification of ectoparasites, terminology, zoonotic risks.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357